Thursday, May 23, 2013

My life is brilliant: Another bad song rant.

So. I have been listening to some older-newer songs lately, and one that keeps playing is "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt. Now, I don't know if I'm the only one that thinks this song is ridiculous, and yet somehow oddly sing-alongable, but I wanted to explain my take on it... which basically equates to me tearing it to pieces and saying in a booming voice over a megaphone, "I COULD WRITE BETTER SONG LYRICS THAN THIS, JAMES!"

Here are the lyrics.
                                                                "You're Beautiful"

My life is brilliant. 
(This always sounds like he's not sure when his own song is starting.)
My life is brilliant.
My love is pure.
I saw an angel.
Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

Wait a second. She's with another guy, and your plan is what, exactly? To give up? Because a)that's a good idea if she's got a bf, and b)that's exactly what it sounds like from the chorus. Your plan is that you won't know what to do. Great plan, James.
Yes, she caught my eye,
As we walked on by.
She could see from my face that I was,
Flying high.
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last 'til the end.

For whom? She probably caught the eye of about 8,000 other people that day, too, judging from the fact that she was on the subway and seems generally friendly smiling at people while she's there.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.

The line about the angel gets me every time. Like, there's an angel who's like, "Hey, these two people should totally be together." And is smiling while saying it. Only, that angel actually sucks at her (or his) angelness because whoops, the two never ACTUALLY become a couple. This guy is so hot and cold in this song! "We're meant to be together, but I'll never see you again, but you smiled at me once and looked at me once and that was a life-changing moment only we'll never be in each other's presence again, but somewhere there's a really diabolically-minded angel concocting plans that don't work out and that's awesome."

Yep. His life is brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment